The World Asthma Day is organized around the globe each year on the first Tuesday of the month of May and this year was no different. The theme for 2019 is ‘STOP for Asthma’. The full-form of STOP here is ‘Symptom evaluation, Test response, Observe and assess, and proceed to adjust treatment.’
The main objective of World Asthma Day is to spread alertness about the illness and educate people about its causes and treatments. The Global Initiative for Asthma is the organization that arranges this event annually. The day is dedicated to reduce the number of deaths caused by asthma by helping the people in need and teaching them how to prevent and manage the illness.
Some facts related to asthma
- Children are most affected by asthma
- Millions of people are currently suffering from it
- Asthma can be kept in check using certain medicines
- Asthma is non-transmissible
- An asthma attack narrows the airways and makes it really difficult for the patients to breathe
Causes of asthma
Asthma can be caused by inhaling certain particles and substances. Here are the most effective ones:
- Air pollution
- Chemical irritants
- Dust from your house
Types of asthma
There are different types of asthma, which affect people all over the world. Here are the most common ones:
- Adult-Onset Asthma
- Allergic Asthma
- Asthma-COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder) Overlap
- Non-allergic Asthma
- Occupational Asthma
Five things that you must know about asthma
- A recent survey suggests that many people believe that their asthma is under control when the truth is that it is not generally the case. If you have to use the relief inhaler for more than twice a week then your asthma is not under control. Waking up in the morning with asthma symptoms more than twice a month is also an indication that you need to contact your doctor and follow a better treatment plan.
- Wheezing and coughing are two of the symptoms of asthma but the illness is more serious than that. They are caused by underlying lung swelling. This cannot be felt from outside. So, in most cases, you do not even know if you are continuing to have the problem. This is why it is important to keep taking the prescribed medication even if you are not having asthma attacks.
- Although children are primarily affected by asthma, it is not a childhood disease. It can affect adults equally for many different reasons, which include pregnancy, allergies, exercise, and flu. The critical illness insurance covers can help you treat your asthma.
- Childhood asthma does not go away completely. As the immune system of your body develops with age, asthma continues to trouble you in different forms. Its effects may ease down but any trigger can bring asthma back in your adulthood. This can be caused by hormonal changes and can result in lung inflammation
- Asthma can manifest in people differently. Buying a health insurance plan will help you get access to modern medication. The new biologic medications are making a huge difference in the lives of asthma patients by targeting their individual immune systems and controlling the effects of asthma.
You can easily get health insurance quotes online and buy a cover that can help you financially to keep your asthma under control.