A good mattress plays an important role in getting a good night’s sleep. Sleeping is where a human being spends more than one-third of his lifetime. Therefore, without the right mattress, it might be hard to fall asleep and the chances of getting body cramps and even injury is more likely. Peaceful and good quality of sleep is essential for a healthy life. There are so many mattresses available in the market that it might be difficult for you to choose the right one. Apart from comfort, the quality of the mattress is also important. Here are some tips that you can take away with you before choosing the mattress.
How to Choose A Mattress That Suits You?
There are two major types of mattress to choose from. While some prefer the hard mattress for its support, some prefer softer one for the comfort it offers. A good mattress must support your body when you are at rest. Offering support to the spine, head, shoulder, butt and heels. If the mattress suits you, your spine should not experience any kind of discomfort. Over a period of time, the mattress must make you sleep better and ease any body pain you are experiencing.
What Is Firm and Hard Mattress?
As the name suggests, the main difference between soft and firm mattress is the touch and feel. A soft mattress gets compressed while the firm one doesn’t. The softness or firmness of the mattress depends on how it is made and the spring tension while constructing the mattress. The topping or finish of the mattress with fabric or memory foam like substances can also lead to the mattress feeling less firm.
Both the firm and soft ones have their own share of advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of Firm Mattress
- Firm mattresses are best suited for people who do not experience backache of any kind. Sleeping on a firm surface makes the bones to absorb more pressure. Therefore, there is lesser pressure on the muscles.
- A firm mattress also stops your back from going through a collapse which allows you to get more oxygen when you sleep.
- For people who sleep on their back, a firm mattress is the best choice as they provide more support to the back. Stomach sleepers also enjoy a firm mattress too.
Advantages of Soft Mattress
- A soft mattress is best for people who have severe back pain or any other back related issues.
- For people who are on the lighter side, soft mattresses are best suited because they provide better compression.
- Side sleepers get better sleep using the soft mattress. Soft mattresses give enough support to their shoulder and hips.
- Soft mattresses also help on aligning the spine for all side sleepers.
Factors to Think About Before Choosing the Mattress
- First criteria before choosing a mattress are understanding whether you have back pain issues. If you do have back pain, it is not a good idea to choose a hard mattress as it can aggravate the back pain.
- Next factor to consider is weight. For a heavier person, a hard mattress could feel soft and a lighter person would find the soft mattress too light for his liking.
- One of the most important factors to consider is personal preference. As long as you are comfortable and the sleeping positions do not give you cramps, the mattress is perfect for you.
In simpler words, choosing a mattress should be done carefully. A mattress that doesn’t suit your requirements might end up injuring your back. Keep in mind your preferences and try different types before choosing one. If you go for some good brands like Wakefit, there are many mattresses that are made for people with back pain issues.