If you believe in Ayurveda then you must know that more than half of the health issues we face is due to weak digestive system. There is an old saying in Ayurveda which says, “All health problems are indirectly or directly connected to the human’s stomach.” Hence if your digestive system is strong then the chances of you being sick are very low. Most of the Ayurvedic medicines work on the digestive system of the human body. However medicines can go so far only, one has to maintain it by keeping themselves and their habits in check.
Here is the list of 11 Ayurvedic secrets which can keep your digestive system healthy and free from problems,
- Eat a planned diet. Don’t go snacking after every now and then. It not only hampers the process of digestion but also helps in accumulating fats in the body. Hence no more eating between the meals.
- Cold drinks, Carbonated drinks or cold water also impact the working of your digestive system. So if possible then try to limit your cold fluids intake and exchange it with warm fluids. Warm fluids enhances the digestion process.
- Concentrate on your food while you are eating. Try to avoid any side entertainments such as phones, TVs, etc. while you are eating. It distracts you to maximise your gain from the foods you are eating.
- Sit while drinking water. Always make sure that you are not drinking water while standing. Yes this also affects your digestive system. Also chew your food well while you are eating to help the digestion.
- Leave a little place in your stomach after your every meal. Stop eating before you reach the limit of your stomach.
- Plan your meal portions according to the time of the day. As we always hear that eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a king’s employee and dinner like a pauper. Breakfast should be the richest diet of the day then comes the lunch which should be a little light and dinner should be the lightest which includes soups or salads.
- Spices like cumin, turmeric, black pepper, fresh ginger, and fenugreek should be the part of your day’s meals as they help in digestion process as well as weight loss program.
- Try to eliminate processed foods from your life if you want to live happy and illness free life. Ayurveda says reheating the food destroys its good parts and makes it a bit harmful for the body.
- Try to avoid certain combinations of food if you want to keep your digestion strong. Combinations like milk with fish, meat, yogurt, eggs and sour fruits; eggs with fruits, fish, yogurt and beans, etc.
- Try to fast every once in a while as it gives time to your stomach to adjust and work in better form.
- Take your last diet at least 2 hours before you go to sleep. This span of time allows the stomach to digest the food you have consumed.