The cause and effect of drug and alcohol addiction are as unique as each individual user. Teenagers may need a different type of care than middle-aged women. For example, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania a drug treatment program was just started to help health care professions such as nurses who suffer from substance use disorder with opioids. It is a program in which nurses help each other overcome prescription drug addiction. Palm Beach Drug Treatment Programs understand the need for unique approaches to substance abuse based on the person’s age, gender, co-occurring disorders and type of substance.
Unique and Effective Therapy
Creating a unique addiction treatment program goes much deeper than choosing types of treatment. It aims to address as many aspects of a person’s personality as possible. Some people respond better to strict structure and individual attention while others require a freer atmosphere and may respond to artistic endeavors.
Along with focusing on developing skills and tools that help to foster independent living, the program also aims to reignite motivation for a lifestyle that is free of drugs or alcohol. For example, you may have had a passion for working the stock market, filmmaking or gourmet cooking that was left behind when alcohol or drugs took control of your life.
What is Holistic Therapy?
The holistic approach to addiction treatment is based largely on the holistic approach to health in general. It considers the whole person and emphasizes the connection between physical health, mental health and spiritual well-being. The aim is to treat the underlying reason the person turned to drugs or alcohol in the first place. Some of the techniques used may be called alternative or complementary treatments because they may be derived from cultural traditions or natural remedies. Some of the treatments used in holistic addiction treatment programs are:
- Yoga and meditation
- Massage to realign the spine and limbs
- Acupuncture and acupressure
- Herbal medicines
- Nutritional therapy
Holistic treatments may address emotional imbalances, unhealthy eating habits and a feeling of loneliness as well as the physical aspects of addiction and withdrawal. Some, but not all, of the psychological disorders that may accompany drug or alcohol addiction are:
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Bipolar disorder
Different Approaches to Addiction
As stated above, each person approaches rehab with his or her own issues. They also have different drugs of choice and each needs its own approach for recovery. The most common substances are:
- Prescription painkillers
The first step to recovery is the commitment and determination to be cured of the person with substance use disorder. After that, they must go through detoxification in order to free their body of the substance. It is important to use a detox finder to get medical help during the treatment. Detox results in withdrawal symptoms that may require medication. A qualified medical person can prescribe the right medicine to help reduce the pain and stress of withdrawal.
According to the National Institute of Health, the most effective addiction treatments include cognitive behavioral therapy, medication, group therapy and arts and animal therapy where you interact with animals such as horses or dogs to gain self-respect and self-confidence. These traditional types of therapy can be modified for specific groups. Some of the types of treatment programs available are:
- Prescription painkiller treatment for people who may have used prescription painkillers after surgery or for an injury and found that they have become addicted.
- Trauma of first-responders treatment focuses on the stress and anxiety people develop when they regularly face traumatic situations and turn to alcohol or drugs to relax.
- DUI rehab that is for people who have driven under the influence of alcohol or drugs and become a danger to society. Alcohol addiction is a treatable disease.
- Age and gender related treatments allow for different therapies for teenagers, elderly people and men and women. For example, group therapy sessions can be very beneficial because you are able to listen to other people’s issues and give support as well as tell your issues and get support. In an age-related group session, you may be interacting with people who are your own age and understand the issues you face.
In Palm Beach, Florida, you can find alcohol and drug rehab centers that create customized programs. If you are worried that you may need to interact with people who do not understand your issues, it is worth looking into a program that focuses on your unique needs.